How do I order an SSL Certificate?
As of the 1st December 2021 we will only issue a certificate to the exact common name you have specified when using HTML verification. For example, if you enter domain.com as the common name, we will only issue a certificate for domain.com. We will not apply a subject alternate name (SAN) to include www.domain.com. In most cases an SSL will need to be issued to both the root domain (domain.com) and the www sub-domain, so you should use DNS or email verification wherever possible.
How do I order an SSL?
- Log into your Customer Area
- Navigate to the Order Secure Server (SSL) icon
- Under the relevant heading (Web Hosting Add-Ons, VPS Add-Ons, cPanel Hosting Add-Ons etc) select the SSL product you would like as well as the payment method it should use.
- After you've added the SSL to your basket , complete the payment and go back your customer area .
- Navigate to the Manage Secure Server (SSL) icon.
- In the Manage Secure Server (SSL) section, you will see a list with your allocated and unallocated SSL products.
How do I allocate a domain to an SSL I've purchased?
Before you proceed:
You need to ensure that you have a mailbox set up for one of the following before allocating an SSL if you wish to verify ownership of the domain via email.
- admin@ [your-domain]
- administrator@ [your-domain]
- hostmaster@ [your-domain]
- postmaster@ [your-domain]
- webmaster@ [your-domain]
- In the Manage Secure Server (SSL) section, you will see your new SSL certificate with the status NEW , this SSL means that this particular allocation can be assigned to a domain name.
Click Manage on the row with the NEW SSL.
- From the Certificate Setup page, the default option will be to Choose a Domain . Enter a domain name into the field below and select Continue
Note: If you are installing this onto an unmanaged server or third party service, you can select Input a CSR and paste your CSR.
- You will be shown a screen with a Private Key and CSR fields, you should download and keep these files safe by selecting Save File under each block.
- Select the method you wish to use to verify the SSL (you can use either email, or a DNS update) and select Continue .
Note: If you are issuing an EV SSL, the verification process is different, see this article for help.
- Review the terms and conditions to proceed, then when ready select Continue
That's it! You will need to verify ownership of your domain, this is usually done via email, but it can be done by adding a TXT record. Contact our support team if you have any issues.
How do I install my SSL certificate?
Your SSL certificate won't be automatically installed when it's issued, to trigger the install onto a Heart Internet service, you will need to follow these steps:
- In the Manage Secure Server (SSL) section, you will see your new SSL certificate with the status ISSUED . You will also have the INSTALL button available, select this.
- In the popup, select the domain name you wish to install the SSL onto. The domains are broken down in different services (e.g. Shared Hosting Package , VPS , cPanel etc).
- Select Install , and that's it! Your SSL should install onto your service in the next couple of hours. Your next step should be to set up a redirect to HTTPS .
Note: SSL installations can take a few hours to complete in some cases, even if the control panel shows INSTALLED as the status.
Notice to Private Server Customers (Virtual/Dedicated Servers):
Installations onto unmanaged private servers are not guaranteed. We will inform you if we cannot complete your SSL installation and you will be required to complete the installation yourself.
Article ID: 1497
Created On: Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 3:44 PM
Last Updated On: Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 2:31 PM
Online URL: https://www.heartinternet.uk/support/article/how-do-i-order-an-ssl-certificate.html